On February 19, 1882, the St. John's Lutheran Church Constitution was signed by 13 charter members. During the first year, services were held in the homes of church members. Under Pastor Kogler's direction, a Lutheran school also opened its doors to nine pupils.
In 1883, the fledgling congregation bought an old schoolhouse and remodeled it for use as both a church and school. Two years later, St. John's officially joined The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
A new sanctuary was erected on the corner of Olive and Almond Streets in 1893. The white Gothic structure cost $4,500. By 1913, the need for a larger house of worship was obvious and six lots were acquired on Almond Avenue between Center and Shaffer Streets. The landmark brick sanctuary now used by St. John's Lutheran Church was originally dedicated on July 19, 1914 and seated 1,100 worshippers. Today, the sanctuary is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.